Saturday, September 19, 2009

Artistic Vision

...
A lot of people have crawled out of the woodwork lately and have offered kind praise about my work. This pleases me, as I have felt that digital work is often overshadowed by the fine art community. Digital work is still work, and requires just as much skill as rendering in charcoal or paint. A traditional artist can point out the thousands of badly rendered digital pieces, but a digital artist can do the same just as easily. It's not about the artistic medium, or what tools are used, it's about technical skill, good composition, and artistic vision.

I do two kinds of work in relation to art. The first would be art that is intended for other people, such as commissions, requests, and gifts. The second would be art that I do for myself, my illustrations, sketches, and practice pieces. The digital portraits that I have been doing lately seem to fall between the two categories I have created for myself. While I create them for my own artistic betterment and enjoyment, they are at their core, portraits of other people, and are intended to be enjoyed by everyone.

Anyways, to the right we see Friendlings Redux. I thought the picture was too adorable to pass up, so after I asked the photographer's permission, I did a digital recreation of it. This marks the first occasion in which I have worked on a portrait for someone I have never met in person.
...

3 comments:

  1. Very, very beautiful portrait! I love the color combination you've used here too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your art is very marketable, and if you can find a common ground between what you personally like to do and what others can use/enjoy then you've found the holy grail of art-making, in my opinion.

    I imagine these portraits are going to keep unfurling into new territory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toxiferous - Thank you very much, I'll probably be hanging around your blog for a while looking at your t-shirt designs.

    Brawna - Yes indeed. Already I'm getting responses from people like, "looking at your portraits makes me smile," and "are you open to commissions?"

    I think what I like best is that I can apply what I've practiced in the portraits to my designs, illustrations, and inkwork. I'll show you later.

    ReplyDelete