Sunday, September 20, 2009

Character Development

...
Not too long ago, I posted a sketch of a character that I am in the process of refining. Since I am trying to keep up with my self-imposed rule of one piece of artwork a day, I went ahead and applied what I learned from my ongoing portrait project to this sketch. What you see at the right is the result of a "quick" inking and application of flat colours. He looks almost sad in comparison to the original sketch, but I'm still content with it.

That's Bernard, and I have not decided on a last name for him yet, if I do decide to give him one. His skin isn't just gray due to the background of this picture. I have been toying around with the idea of Bernard having some sort of circulatory problem from living and working in high altitudes, which makes his skin appear blueish-gray rather than ruddy.

The insignia on his hat is a possible idea for what the Yukon Confederate flag may look like. Seeing as how the Yukons are a British based society, I borrowed a proposed version of the Union Jack from the 1700's, and replaced the Welsh Dragon in the center with a heraldic raven. In the real world, the common raven is the official bird of the Yukon territory.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment