Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Modest Proposal

...
I am a big fan of good sculpture, mostly because I am so terrible at it. I am amazed that there are people out there that can think of something, let the idea gestate for a while, and then create something so realistic or out of this world that you can not help but stand and gawk in amazement.

Case in point, Beth Cavener Stichter, who creates wonderful sculptures that are simultaneously enthralling and disturbing to behold. "The sculptures I create focus on human psychology - stripped of context and rationalization, and articulated through animal and human forms."

Be sure to check out the nonplussed expression on the rabbit that is being humped in the "Modest Proposal" gallery.
...

2 comments:

  1. Her art reminds me of furries, sorry to say. I like it, but it is sort of like seeing a beautiful woman except she has one lazy eye that is always looking off to the side... you can recognize she's aesthetically pleasing despite it but that one cock eye is hard to ignore.

    I think it's the big feet on her animals, a frequent characteristic of furry art, and obviously the animal representing human sexuality... except it is more evolved. I'm wondering if those people she talks to about the "fetishes" are furries. XD

    That aside, if I went to the gallery where this art was showing I'm sure it would be arresting... the sculpture is life-size and compelling and her execution is inspiring. I like that fawn with the cans.. the curves! Also the hare heads in the boxes.... it looks like sequential art except three dimensional.

    Lets go to New York haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing, but her earlier work is much more figurative and surrealistic. If she is involved with furries, it wasn't until she started getting gallery shows.

    I really loved how her sculptures look like, well, illustrations made into sculptures. It's neat.

    ReplyDelete